Monday, October 12, 2009

The Return

When I got off my flight I had to keep my toes clenched.Held down.Because rationally thinking running back home would in fact take more time.But rationally thinking when have I last thought rationally?

At any rate went through with the waiting for luggage and dumping into trolley deal.Once done,broke into a run.Happy even to see the Grandfather,grinned beatifically at him(a man I’m glad to see you smile )All balls but it was just reflective of a general inner feeling.Could keep up a happy prattle the entire length of the journey .

Then .The gate.Brand new but home-ish.Mummy-ish,baba-ish.

Safety be damned,luggage be damned-er I leap out mid drive and soar up on a lift.Then following the hum of conversation into the house I see I’m in.No one else does though.The purohit continues with his pujo and the people sit around munching on proshad and the like.

The lack of acknowledgement was one thing but what followed was one up on that.

Joey!

Eesh!Ki kalo!

Ki mota!

Chaan koroni?

You need a haircut

But the thing about home is through all this I’m expected to discern that they’re glad to have me back.

4 comments:

Kirra Serra said...

:D The last line!
Also, you cannot know how much I love your 'about me' bit.
(I'd say it was a hat too)

Anushka said...

*grins*

By the way, I REFUSE to believe 'ki mota.'

Raii said...

shotti! could not have been "ki mota".

Bibo said...

What about - koto boro hoye gechhish? Manages to make me feel queasy every time.